Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Be the center...

A song that's been running through my head constantly all week is the song "Center" by Matt Redman. It's an extremely simple song, with a verse, bridge and chorus that repeat themselves throughout the whole song. But the main message of the song is for Christ to be the center of our lives. The speaker in chapel today talked about how we need to give every single part of our lives over to God. It's pretty typical of a chapel speaker to talk about stuff like that, and when he started talking at first I was tempted to brush everything he was saying aside, since I'd already heard it all before. Normally metaphors drive me nuts, because a lot of pastors use SUPER cheesy ones that for me, just distract from the point they're trying to make. But the speaker today used a metaphor that instantly caught my attention:

We need to yield our lives to God. Just like when we're driving a car, and we're 
told to yield. We put our foot on the brake and acknowledge the fact that we
don't have the right of the way. We need to do this same thing with our lives-
acknowledge the fact that we don't have "the right of way" in our lives...
God does.

For some reason, that hit me in the head like a 2 by 4. As much as I've tried to give up every single part of my life to God, there are still things that I just really want to have control over. I feel like God's been using the song "Center"to get that idea across to me. HE needs to be the center of my life. Not my schooling. Not my boyfriend. Not my future. But GOD and GOD alone. 

This semester has been an huge eye opener for me. I have the first healthy relationship that I've ever had with a guy, and it's been so encouraging. I have amazing friends in my life that are constantly building me up and loving me. I have a family that I've gotten so much closer with as I "grow up." Since being back from the Philippines, I've grown so much as a person and in my relationship with God. God's closed quite a few doors for me this year, but it's just taught me to trust him and to accept the fact that he has a plan that is bigger and better than I could have EVER imagined...and THAT is why he needs to be the center of my life.

Since I'm on a picture editing kick (since I haven't had time to do anything else photography related recently)...here's the lyrics to "Center." I hope they encourage you as much as they've encouraged me :)


No comments:

Post a Comment