Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sophomore Slump...

...or Comeback of the Year.

For those of you that don't know, that's the title of an "old" Fall Out Boy song. Back in middle school I was a real big fan of those guys, and I never quite understood what that title meant. After completing my sophomore year of college, I get it. Sophomore year is definitely awkward. You're not a freshman anymore, but you're not quite an upperclassmen. You're taking a bunch of classes for your major, but you still have a bunch of those pesky gen-eds to get rid of. A lot of your friends are starting to figure out what life after college looks like, and you still have a ways to go. At first glance, I can't really think of that many good things to say about my sophomore year. My classes first semester were okay, but second semester was definitely not my favorite. I was stressed out, had to deal with some drama, and went through some pretty big changes in my life. But then, I realized that some great things happened:

  • Because I was in quite a few Education classes first semester, I got realized that there are some pretty AMAZING Education (Especially Elementary Ed) majors in my class. Since we all take the same classes at the same time, we get to know each other really well really fast. We're like a little family, and I'm totally obsessed with it.
  • In January, I got to go to the Philippines to complete one of my education practicums. It was one of the hardest and most rewarding experiences of my whole life. I learned so much about myself as a person, child of God, and as a teacher over the course of those 20 days. I definitely left a little piece of my heart over there, especially with the kids that I interacted with. (If you want to read about it, I blogged every day while I was over there. I'll send ya the link if you want!)
  • My relationship with God grew in leaps and bounds. I'm still not where I want to be, and I'm by no means perfect, but I'm growing. God has given me SO many opportunities this year to put all of my trust in him - something that has ALWAYS been difficult for me to do. Although finding a routine for devotions is hard for me, I've made it one of my summer goals to get into a good habit of reading my Bible everyday.
  • This is going to be really cheesy and probably annoying, but I have to say it. I found a pretty great guy first semester, and we started dating in November. He makes me a better person, and I've never been happier. Okay sorry, no more sap.
  • My church is my favorite. Every time I go back, I'm constantly reminded of how blessed I am to have found a church like GEBC. I love the fact that I've been able to stay so involved even after being away at school, and I'm SO excited to serve as much as I can over the summer.&nbsp;</li>
  • I've learned to look on the bright side. There have been quite a few doors that God has closed for me this year. Although it took me a while, I've learned to try and find the good that comes out of every seemingly bad situation.


That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's more. I've learned SO much this year, even if my classes were annoying and things didn't always go my way. I've been so blessed by the people God has put into my life this year, whether they be new friends or old ones. Even though I have no idea what I'm doing this summer, I'm still excited about it. I know there's a reason for everything, and I can't wait to see what God has in store for me.

"The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you,
but will rejoice over you with singing."
- Zephaniah 3:17 -



No comments:

Post a Comment